On June 13, 1916 William H. Welch announced that the university had received a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation to establish a school of hygiene and public health. The school officially opened in 1918 with William H. Welch as its first Director. It was the first graduate school in the United States for research and training in public health. Since its founding, the school has focused on research, teaching, and outreach programs for the improvement of health and prevention of disease and disability around the world. On April 22, 2001 The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health was renamed The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health in honor of Michael Bloomberg, a major benefactor and long-time advocate for the school. Today it is the largest graduate school of public health in the world. It provides opportunities for education, research, and service in many specialized areas of public health that include health policy; planning, management, and evaluation of healthcare delivery services; environmental health sciences; mental and behavioral health; population and family health; biostatistics and epidemiology.
Archival materials pertaining to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Institutional Records – founding documents, records of governance and administration that provide information about the organization and operations
- Personal Paper Collections – faculty, staff, students and alumni
- Photographs, Audio, and Moving Image Collections –still photos of buildings, group and portrait photographs of faculty, staff, students and alumni, oral histories, and film footage
- Material Culture Collections – oil portraits, sculpture, antique furnishings, textiles, medical apparatus and equipment
- Published histories of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health