Brief History of the The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
In 1916 the General Education Board of the Rockefeller Foundation decided on the Johns Hopkins University as the site for an institute of health and hygiene. Thus the dream of William H. Welch for a separate hygiene institute for Hopkins became a reality.
Welch had long stressed the importance of hygiene and preventive medicine in the education of a physician. In 1915 along with Wickliffe Rose who had organized hookworm campaigns in the southern United States, Welch prepared a report for the Rockefeller Foundation recommending the creation of a public health school at a university with a medical school of high standard. The Rockefeller Foundation decided that Hopkins would be the place and appropriated $267,000. In October 1918, with Welch as the director, the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health opened its doors to its first students. In its early years the Rockefeller Foundation supported the School with annual grants and in 1922 the Foundation awarded an endowment fund of $6 million. In 1925 the School opened its own building.
As he had been with the Medical School some years before, Welch was the driving force at Hygiene in its formative years. He assembled an excellent faculty which instructed students in preventive medicine, sanitation, epidemiology, bacteriology, immunology and nutrition. Since the early 1920's the School has continued to grow with a multidisciplinary faculty advancing knowledge through research and training students for careers in public health.
Scope of the Records
The basic administrative records for the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health are fairly complete. They include minutes of the School of Hygiene's Advisory Board, Office of Dean correspondence and financial records. In addition, the Archive includes the business correspondence of The American Journal of Hygiene which Welch launched in 1920. There is some student material such as examination results and fellowship applications, but few records from specific academic departments.
Record Group 1. Founding Documents
In 1916 when the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health came into existence there were no other examples to follow in the United States. The School was a true pioneer and soon became the model for other similar institutions. The documents in this record group relate directly to the founding of the School, its organization, philosophy, and financing and the construction of its own building.
Record Group 2. Records of Administrative Bodies
This record group contains the minutes of the primary decision making organization of the School of Hygiene, the Advisory Board. In addition, there are minutes of the Executive Committee and minutes and reports of a Special Committee on the Organization of the School, 1930 - 1931.
Record Group 3. Director or Dean's Office
These are the records of the chief administrative officer of the School of Hygiene and Public Health. They are comprised of budget material and business correspondence. The official title of the chief administrative officer of the School has changed back and forth between Director and Dean throughout the years. Originally the title was Director. In 1931 it was changed to Dean and in 1946 back to Director. In 1958 the title again became Dean. The directors (Deans) of the School of Hygiene and Public Health include:
- William H. Welch, 1916 - 1927
- William H. Howell, 1927 - 1931
- Wade H. Frost, 1931 - 1934
- Allen W. Freeman, 1934 - 1937
- Lowell J. Reed, 1937 - 1947
- Ernest L. Stebbins, 1947 - 1967
- John C. Hume, 1967 - 1977
- Donald A. Henderson, 1977 - 1990
- Alfred Sommer, 1990 - 2005
- Michael Klag, 2005 - present
Record Group 4. Student Records and Organizations
This record group contains all student related material. There are examination records, class standings, student registration lists, fellowship and scholarship applications and records of the Ubiquiteers-a School of Hygiene student organization.
Record Group 5. Departmental Records
Contact the archives staff for information regarding Departmental Records.
Record Group 6. The American Journal of Hygiene, 1933-1950
In order to communicate the results of the latest research in hygiene and public health, Welch in 1920 founded The American Journal of Hygiene. Since 1929 two volumes have been published each year. This record group contains the business and subscription correspondence of the Journal. In 1965 the title changed to The American Journal of Epidemiology, remaining a leading journal in the filed of public health.
Record Group 7. Publications
In this record group are publications from the School of Hygiene and Public Health. They include catalogues, alumni directories and collected papers. Finally there are three scrapbooks of newspaper clippings.
Note: Additional materials may have been added to this collection subsequent to the writing of this description. Please check with the archives staff if there are specific materials for which you are searching that are not described here.