Johns Hopkins Center for Medical Research and Training was administered by the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health and directed by Frederick Bang. The center was based in in Calcutta, India, and Dacca, Bangladesh.
Frederick B. Bang
5 Nov 1916-3 Oct 1981
Frederick B. Bang was born in Philadelphia. He received his A.B. from the Johns Hopkins University in 1935 and his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1939. From 1961 to 1976, he was director of the Johns Hopkins University Centers for Medical Research Training in Calcutta, India, and Dacca, Bangladesh. Along with Jack Levin, a hematologist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Bang developed the limulus lysate test, which is used to diagnose infections caused by bacteria that produce endotoxins. In the early 1950s he was one of the first physicians to use electron microscopy to study viruses and was a pioneer in the application of marine biology to medical research.
1946-1981 - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1953-1981 - Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health
Scope and Content:
Records include reports, reprints, financial records, correspondence, grant files, photographs, and other administrative records of the Center. Included are records of its director Frederick Bang and assistant director Craig Wallace.
Collection is part of the Medical Archives' Records Management program stored offsite.