On 22 December 1892 Mary Elizabeth Garrett made a gift of $306,977
which enabled the medical school of the new Johns Hopkins University
to open in October 1893. Since 1891 she had already given close to
$150,000 toward the endowment of the medical school. Her gift contributed
in a great way to the improvement of medical education and to the
advancement of women, for the conditions of her gift were such that
the new Johns
Hopkins University School of Medicine would became the first coeducational,
graduate level medical school in the United States, setting the standards
that other American medical schools would aspire to follow.
This site celebrates both the philanthropy of Mary Elizabeth Garrett
and the women of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine whom
she endowed with new educational opportunities.