Here is a timeline showing dates of the Bulletin, Medical Journal, and Medical News:
1889 The Johns Hopkins Hospital Bulletin was established. The first issue was published in December 1889. John Murphy & Co. printed the Bulletin; the University managed the subscription service.
1917 The Johns Hopkins Press began publishing the Bulletin. About this time the School of Medicine began contributing to the budget of the Bulletin.
1920 Winford Smith proposed that the scope of the Bulletin be expanded and that the Bulletin also become the official publication of the School of Medicine and that the School of Medicine share the cost of its annual deficit.
1924 THe editorial responsibility of the Bulletin was transferred from the Office of the Director of the Hospital to the Office of the Dean of the School of Medicine. Williams and Wilkins became the publishers. The name changed to the Bulletin of The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
1928 The legal ownership of the Bulletin transferred from the Hospital to the University.
1930 Williams and Wilkins withdrew as publisher. The Johns Hopkins Press once again assumed publication of the Bulletin.
1967 The Bulletin was renamed The Johns Hopkins Medical Journal.
1976 In March, Hopkins Medical News made its debut.
1982 In December, The Johns Hopkins Medical Journal published its
|1889 - 1906||Henry M. Hurd|
|1906 - 1914||Rupert Norton|
The Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital 1924-1967
|1924 - 1927||W.C. Davison|
|1927 - 1929||Alan M. Chesney|
|1929 - 1935||E. Cowles Andrus|
|1935 - 1936||Read Ellsworth|
|1936 - 1942||James Bordley, III|
|1942 - 1943||Maxwell M. Wintrobe|
|1943 - 1944||L. Emmett Holt, Jr.|
|1944 - 1947||Henry N. Harkins|
|1947 - 1949||E. Cowles Andrus|
|1949 - 1953||Frederick B. Bang|
|1953 - 1955||Philip F. Wagley|
|1955 - 1958||E.K. Marshall, Jr.|
|1958 - 1962||Philip F. Wagley|
|1963 - 1967||Edward F. Stafford (continued on as editor of The Johns Hopkins Medical Journal until 1970)|
In 1967, the title was changed to The Johns Hopkins Medical Journal. Edward F. Stafford continued as Managing Editor until 1970, when an editorial board was appointed, with Thomas B. Turner as Chairman. The Johns Hopkins Medical Journal ceased publication in 1982.