The Medical Archives welcomes patrons to the Medical Archives to conduct on-site research. The reading room is open without fee to the Johns Hopkins community as well as the general public. Before your visit, it is necessary to schedule an appointment. To arrange for an appointment submit your request through MedArchives OnCall.
A reference staff member will respond to your request and discuss the materials you wish to research. Additional forms may need to be filled out, depending on the specific materials you request and how you plan to use them. Refer to our policy section for more information.
Scheduling an appointment in advance will enable staff to retrieve the materials you need so that they will be ready when you arrive.
Directions and Hours
Computers are welcome in the reading room, which is equipped with wireless internet access and power outlets located near each desk. Hopkins faculty, staff and students can log into the Hopkins network using their JHED ID and password, while other patrons can easily access the wireless connection hosted by the Mt. Washington Conference Center.
Reading Room Rules
Be prepared for your visit by reviewing the following rules of the Reading Room. Researchers are asked to observe the regulations, which have been established to create an atmosphere conducive to research while ensuring the continued preservation of the archival materials.
- You may take only paper, pencils, and laptop computers into the Reference Room. A locked closet is available for backpacks, briefcases, and any other items of value you have with you. A coat closet is located in our lobby area for hats, scarves and coats.
- Please respect the research environment of our reading room and silence your cell phone. Please take your cell phone into the hallway when necessary. Our staff will help locate a private space for confidential conversations.
- No cell phone photos, digital cameras, scanners, or voice dictation is allowed in the reading room.
- No food or beverages are permitted in the Reference Room. A cafeteria with ample seating is available when you need a break.
- Archival materials may not be removed from the reference room for any reason.
- You may work with only one box at a time. Please remove only one folder at a time from the box. After viewing the folder, replace it in the box, preserving the existing order, and initial the Call Slip indicating materials reviewed.
- Please exercise care when handling materials. White cotton gloves will be provided when necessary.
- Please communicate with our reference staff if you wish to have reproductions made of any of the materials you are viewing. Our staff will process your request as soon as possible, but be aware that it normally takes several days - and up to two weeks - to complete a copy request. See our fee schedules for applicable fees.
Need a place to stay?
Overnight accommodations are available right on campus - you can simply walk down the hall from your room. Contact the Mt. Washington Conference Center for more information.
Unable to visit the Medical Archives
The Archives staff also offers a fee-based research assistance service for those who can't come to the Medical Archives. Use MedArchives OnCall to submit your detailed request.