Collections
Personal Papers Collections





Home > Collections > Personal Paper Collections > The Alfred Blalock Collection

The Alfred Blalock Collection



Alfred Blalock
Alfred Blalock
by I. Hunner Parsons
oil on canvas, 40 by 32 inches, 1945.
 

Biography

Alfred Blalock was born in Culloden, Georgia. He received his A.B. in 1918 from the University of Georgia and his M.D. in 1922 from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Blalock continued at The Johns Hopkins Hospital as an intern in urology, assistant resident in surgery, and externe in otolaryngology. In 1925, Blalock became the first chief resident in surgery at Vanderbilt University Hospital, and later joined the faculty of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, where he did pioneering work on the nature and treatment of hemorrhagic and traumatic shock. He demonstrated that surgical shock resulted primarily from the loss of blood and he encouraged the use of plasma or whole-blood transfusions as treatment following the onset of shock. This work is credited with saving the lives of many casualties during World War II. In 1941, he returned to Johns Hopkins as professor and director of surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and surgeon-in-chief of the hospital, positions he held until his retirement in 1964. In 1944, Blalock collaborated with Helen Taussig and Vivien Thomas to develop the "blue baby" operation, a means to improve the flow of oxygen into the blood of babies born with a heart condition called Tetralogy of Fallot. The procedure connected one of the heart's major arteries with another feeding into the lungs. It not only helped save the lives of thousands of children around the world but also opened the door to now-familiar procedures like coronary bypass surgery. While at Johns Hopkins, he worked for the establishment of the Children's Medical and Surgical Center. Blalock received numerous awards, including the Lasker Award, for his outstanding surgical contributions. He was nominated several times for the Nobel Prize in medicine. In 1964, the clinical science building was renamed in his honor at the seventy-fifth anniversary celebration of the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Hopkins Affiliations

1918 - 1922 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, student
1922-1925, 1941 - 1964 Johns Hopkins Hospital
1941 - 1964 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Scope and Content

The Alfred Blalock Collection concentrates on Blalock's surgical career at Johns Hopkins. It mainly consists of correspondence and medical documentation. The correspondence is with colleagues, students, institutions, and associations from the 1940s and 1950s. The section on medical documentation includes illustrations, photographs, and films. Patient material includes operation card files on 1500 cardiac cases, patient files, and information on professional fees. This collection is a significant resource for studying the early development of cardiac surgery.

Related Archival Materials

The Duke University Medical Center Archives also has papers related to Alfred Blalock.

Policy on Access and Use

This collection may contain some restricted records. Materials pertaining to patients, students, employees, and human research subjects, as well as unprocessed collections and recent administrative records, carry restrictions on access. For more information about the policies and procedures for access, see Policy on Access and Use.

Permissions and Credits

When citing material from this collection, credit The Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. For permission to reproduce images, contact the holder of the copyright.

For permissions:
archives at jhmi dot edu.