Personal Papers Collections
Osborne O. Heard Slide Collection
Osborne O. Heard, a skilled pattern maker, was hired on June 1, 1914 by Franklin P. Mall, Director, Department of Embryology, and Carnegie Institute of Washington. Heard's job title was modeler and he was responsible for making embryonic models from plaster of parris. A graduate of the Maryland Institute of Art and Design, Heard was very accomplished in the technical accuracy of 800 plus embryonic reconstructions made during his long career. Heard also worked with George Streeter in the specifications for the petrographic microscope later made by Bausch and Lomb. He retired from the Carnegie Institute in 1956 and during his long tenure contributed to ten scientific publications mostly related to embryology
|1914 - 1956||Carnegie Institution of Washington, Department of Embryology|
Scope and Content
The Osborne O. Heard collection consists of 105 glass slides of drawings made by Max Brodel, A. Horn and H. Becker. The collection is particularly strong in the presentation of Max Brodel's work from 1894 to 1927. There are a few slides labeled Dr. Cullen and one slide labeled from Dr. Kelly's Sanitarium.
Policy on Access and Use
This collection may contain some restricted records. Materials pertaining to patients, students, employees, and human research subjects, as well as unprocessed collections and recent administrative records, carry restrictions on access. For more information about the policies and procedures for access, see Policy on Access and Use.
Permissions and Credits
When citing material from this collection, credit The Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. For permission to reproduce images, contact the holder of the copyright.
archives at jhmi dot edu.