Personal Papers Collections
The Edwards A. Park Collection
|Edwards A. Park
by Paul Trebilcock
oil on canvas, 71 by 40 inches, 1937
Edwards A. Park was born in Gloversville, New York. He earned his A.B. in 1900 from Yale University and his M.D. in 1905 from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1912, John Howland, the head of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins, invited Park to join the faculty. Park served on the medical faculty until 1921, when he left to found the department of pediatrics at the Yale University School of Medicine. He returned to Johns Hopkins in 1927 to become professor of pediatrics and pediatrician-in-chief of the Harriet Lane Home. He remained at Johns Hopkins until his retirement in 1946, creating divisions of cardiology, endocrinology, neurology, and psychiatry within the department of pediatrics. Park's major research contributions include studies of rickets and lead poisoning.
|1912 - 1921, 1927 - 1969||Johns Hopkins Hospital|
|1912 - 1921, 1927 - 1969||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine|
Scope and Content
The Edwards A. Park Collection spans his entire career at Johns Hopkins. It inlcudes administrative records, patient notebooks (1928-1949), a diagnostic index to pediatric patients (1920s-1950s), correspondence (1920-1939, 1953-1969), and biographical material, including items relating to the celebration of Park's 80th birthday.
Policy on Access and Use
This collection may contain some restricted records. Materials pertaining to patients, students, employees, and human research subjects, as well as unprocessed collections and recent administrative records, carry restrictions on access. For more information about the policies and procedures for access, see Policy on Access and Use.
Permissions and Credits
When citing material from this collection, credit The Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. For permission to reproduce images, contact the holder of the copyright.
archives at jhmi dot edu.